Monday, September 12, 2011

My Post- 9/11 Post

I would like to take a second to thank those who have served our country and take a moment out of my day and out of my blog to shut up about food and exercise for a cause that is bigger than me and hits all of us close to home on this month, but should be looked at 12 months a year.

I know I have drilled this in most of your heads 1000 times, but if I could reach out again to see if there is one person who has not read or heard my speeches about donating to the troops.  Every year I donate our broken phones to Cells For Soldiers so that our US Troops can call home when deployed overseas.  Each phone donated by Red Bull gives one soldier a 60 min calling card to talk to his loved ones.

While you are hoarding that BlackBerry 8700c for a rainy day, or the phone with the broken screen just because you are afraid I am going to judge you, think about how many times a week you get to talk to your child, husband/wife, boyfriend/girlfriend, mother/father, or just your best friend that you lean on every day. Now imagine being sent to a shit hole land where you cannot get your Big Mac or Taco Bell (I am a fan of the Fresco Menu!) and your contact with your family, you lose all of your privacy, and your life is at risk 24/7.  These men and women are displaced from their families for months at a time, and the least we can do is send them just a bit of love!!

Please, if you have any phones that are lying around your home or office, drop them off at my desk at any time!  Year round I collect the devices, so you are never too late to give!

Also, I would love to send out multiple care packages so if you are interested in donating any toiletries or easily shippable non-perishable food, send it my way as well!!  Something small like the toiletries you steal from the maids cart at the Hilton can make a soldiers day!

Thank you all for your support, and time!

MILITARY CHARITIES THAT I SUPPORT
Horses for the Heros - A charity under Horses for the Handicap that help soldiers injured overseas gain confidence with horsemanship and riding skills!
Cells for Soldiers - Donate your old and used phones to help send soldiers calling cards
Adopt a Platoon - Apply to adopt a platoon and send care packages and letters while they are deployed

3 comments:

  1. hey beth-
    just read tejal's blog. sorry if what i said was rude - however - i don't see it being professional or very sportsmanlike.

    i'm glad to see you have integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read Tajel's blog. I dont think it was rude or an attack because she seems to just tell it how it is. I wonder how she'll respond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to both of you for your comments and thoughts. I have worked this out with Tejal personally outside of the internet since we are both friends and adults. I understand that this may be read as rude, but this post has nothing to do with the competition and I ask if you could please keep this off this post of all of the posts. This is a charity that is close to my heart and I would not like it overshadowed by some drama that is blown out of proportion. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete